Become an Impacc venture candidate!
Are you an entrepreneur in Africa?
With an innovative, local, green product or service?
Creating sustainable jobs?
In bottom of pyramid communities?
In need of funding to scale your social business?
Looking for a true partner at eye level?
Let’s see if we can support your social start-up to maximise your impact.
Sorry, you have missed the application deadline for the first round.
Please check back soon to see when we open the next application round.
In the meantime, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
What we are looking for
Innovative social businesses that
- have high potential to create local green jobs.
- generate high impact improving living conditions for poor communities in Africa.
- are run by committed founders with strong entrepreneurial skills
- require funds to fuel to the next level of growth
- are at growth stage.
- improve knowledge or skills transfer to better impact the communities in Africa
- focus on inclusion of women or people living in rural areas
- are geared towards sustainable long-term local focus rooted in the local context throughout the value chain
What we offer
We will support you in transforming your local ecosystem by creating inclusive and sustainable growth.
- Smart equity investment between $30,000 and $150,000
- Non-profit, minority shareholding
- Based on agreed business valuation and investment consideration
- Potential to receive additional loan facility beyond initial equity funding to scale the business further
- Further fundraising support and tools
Business Growth Support
- As an investor in the business, Impacc becomes a partner that provides guidance on strategy and planning.
- Impacc occupies 1 to 2 board seats.
- The business receives mentorship from key industry expertise & coaches to provide tailored support.
- Receive access to Impacc network to grow and scale the business.
- Provide strategy options and business modelling.
From application to investment agreement
In order to make sure that you fit our investment criteria, we undertake a rigorous selection and due diligence process.
Once we have decided to invest, we will run a fundraising campaign to close a raise for your business.
From selection to successful raise of investment it may take 6 to 12 months.
Here is the whole process laid out:
1. Initial Application
Fill out the form to give us a first idea of your business.
2. Request for detailed business information
After we have identified a potential match for investment based on your initial application, we will invite you to submit additional detailed information in a second application phase. This might include detailed budgetary projections and financial plans.
3. Selection and Due Diligence
If you are selected as a potential Impacc investment in phase 2, our investment committee will undertake due diligence of your social business. This may include further interviews with your team, calls with references, and input from external technical experts. Further details on the due diligence process will be provided at that stage.
4. Investment Decision
The investment committee will make their final decision based on the results of the due diligence. Applicants who meet the investment criteria during the due diligence process enter a concluding consideration by the investment committee who make the final decision on which business to fundraise for.
5. Fundraise & Investment
Once your business has been conditionally approved for investment, a letter of investment intent is signed, while Impacc proceeds to run a fundraising campaign prominently featuring all selected businesses. The campaign takes 6 to 12 months to successfully close a raise, depending on the amount and attractiveness of the business case.
6. Scale & Sustain
After successful raise, a valuation process will be undertaken and an investment agreement entered into which will include growth milestones.
The businesses invested in get in-depth next level of growth services such as business mentorship and technical expertise, strategic guidance and business modelling, linkages to further investment opportunities as well as fundraising support and tools to attain envisioned growth scale.
- Social businesses targeting base of pyramid communities in Africa (impacting population living on less than $2 a day
- Impacc is committed to supporting the acceleration and transition to scale of social businesses that have clear impact generation plan. The impact should be trackable and measurable.
- Measuring success and sharing lessons learned. Impacc support social businesses that are committed to evaluating their own success, with plans to collect data and feedback to help inform decisions. This includes operational monitoring and evaluation, as well as impact evaluation. Innovators from learning organizations that make data driven decisions are a good fit for our investment.
- Social businesses with clear, ideally regional, scale and growth plans to reach millions of people living on less than $2 a day in Africa are highly preferred.
- The business should have a clear profitability roadmap
- The social businesses should have the potential to create local green jobs, improving living standards of base of pyramid communities in Africa.
- Impacc work with social business founders showing the relevant expertise and capabilities to achieve success. We also like to see that your team has clear roles, responsibilities, and time commitments needed to be successful.
- Teams should be able to demonstrate strong knowledge of the problems they are addressing and what approaches are likely to work in the local environment surrounding their enterprise (e.g. operational, geographical, political, or social context)
- Impacc targets already existing social business, which has been in operations for more than two years and has raised more than $20,000 in either grant, convertible grants, venture capital or private equity at the time of submission.
- The business should be post pilot and generating revenue of $20,000 month by month for the last 6 months by the time of application submission.
- The social businesses should be open to discuss franchise approach as part of scaling model.
- The founding individuals must be above 18 years of age at the time of the application and nationals or resident in Africa.
- The founding team should be African nationals OR currently living or working in Africa, with a regional perspective.
- All team members must be fully proficient in written and spoken English.
- The initiative requires founder participation. All founding team members must commit to participate in the initiative. Lack of commitment or active engagement will render the team or innovation ineligible for the program.
Subscribe to the Impacc Newsletter
About six times per year, we will update you on our progress and our latest insights on alternative forms of development aid.